The Market House was built in 1771 by the first Marquess of Londonderry, Robert Stewart (of Mount Stewart). While Sir Hugh Montgomery had made the Priory the centre of the market town he developed in the early 17th century, now the Market House would be the focus of a new layout for the town.
A building of great significance in the story of the Ulster-Scots, Bangor Abbey was rebuilt by Sir James Hamilton between 1617 and 1623. One of the most important Christian sites in Ireland, it was founded by St Comgall around 558. The abbey was burned in 1572 by Sir Brian O’Neill, whose grandson Con hid here following his escape from Carrickfergus Gaol.